Recommend laptop

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Wed May 31 18:00:19 UTC 2017

On 05/30/2017 08:36 PM, Phil wrote:
> I know this is a frequent question, however it hasn't been asked for awhile and I'm completely overwhelmed with choice.
>
> I've owned two ASUS laptops, both died after developing intermittent faults within four years. I was given an MSI CR620 but it has now developed an intermittent keyboard fault. I was also given a Toshiba A100 and this has been totally reliable but it's frustratingly slow under Xubuntu. I'm not sure about HP laptops. They are the cheapest of the bunch, but how long will they last?
>
> I'm not looking for high specs. I3 or better, optical drive, bluetooth, wi-fi, a screen that's easy on the eyes (this is important) and not too expensive ($1000, preferably less).
>
> Any suggestions?

I have three (!) Dell laptops. They all work fine, but they're heavy.
Two of them have Broadcom wifi boards, and in PCLinuxOS they are a real
bitch to get working. One of them has
Mint 17, and that works with the Broadcom right out of the box. The
other one has a different wifi board, and it works out of the box in
PCLOS. Of course, they all work fine in Windows.
Just so you know. . . .

--doug