ubuntu 17.04: cut and paste middle mouse not working?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat May 6 15:03:17 UTC 2017

On 6 May 2017 at 15:43, Peter Teuben <teuben at astro.umd.edu> wrote:
> after a reboot it was fine again. sorry, false alarm. still a little worrysome. this laptop (X270) has been freezing a few times. worrysome.

Run memtest from the boot menu. Leave it overnight.

> I still feel that this cut and paste is a bug. If I select a new text in another window, it should override the buffer, there should only be one (unless you have that fancy app).  But I feel there are more. Perhaps related to my auto-focus/raise, perhaps different programs use different <META>-C and <META>-V for cut and paste, I don't know yet. It just keeps surprising me and is waisting time. I do see a fair amount of related discussions via google search.

No. The clipboard is separate from the middle-click-to-paste.

So, for instance, you can copy the title of a webpage -- select it,
press Ctrl-C, placing the title in the system clipboard -- then select
the URL.

Go to a blank document in a text editor.

Middle-click. The URL appears. Then press Ctrl-V. The title appears.

2 separate things.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lproven at gmail.com