Can't boot notebook from SSD

Petter Adsen petter at nillabs.com
Thu May 4 07:19:03 UTC 2017

On 03/05/17 12:21, Xen wrote:
> MR ZenWiz schreef op 03-05-2017 8:39:
>
>> What am I missing?
>
> I don't know, I think UEFI is a big mistake.
>
> But your 1MB UEFI partition that you mention should be equivalent to the
> Grub GPT boot partition right.

Well, not exactly.

> That's not where you store your UEFI files; that is what causes Grub to
> boot a GPT disk.

The EFI partition is where you store bootloaders and other EFI
executables you might want accessible during boot (such as an UEFI
shell). The EFI partition has nothing to do with GPT disks as such, you
would still need one if the disk was MBR and you wanted to boot in UEFI
mode (though certain firmwares might not be too happy with that setup).

Petter