font oddity

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed May 3 12:06:43 UTC 2017

On 3 May 2017 at 03:51, Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:
> I have no idea what causes it, but it is sometimes combined with a
> temporary change in screen resolution that seems to cure itself after a
> few seconds.

I have seen things similar, but not identical, to what you describe.

I've been able to broadly trace them to 2 types of fault. One serious, one not.

The serious one is a dying GPU, possibly due to inadequate cooling.
There's little that can be done about that, but some can at least be
used to maintain a text display or something less demanding.

The other is malfunctioning X.org drivers. That can be fixed, but
usually only by reverting to a version that works and -- if it's a
current GPU -- waiting for better, fixed drivers.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lproven at gmail.com