Mystery printer in firefox under Ubuntu 14.04.5

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Mar 17 16:08:24 UTC 2017

At Fri, 17 Mar 2017 12:37:38 +0000 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Fri 17 Mar 2017 at 08:20:19 -0400, Robert Heller wrote:

> > > Dunno. You'll lose mDNS/DNS-SD resolution on the network. 'apt-cache
> > > rdepends avahi-daemon' might help you decide.
> >
> > Well I stopped avahi-daemon on the CentOS machine.  The CentOS machine is
> > itself running BIND (it is the local DNS server) and does not use apt.  I
> > stopped avahi-daemon on the CentOS machine.  The Ubuntu server is no longer
> > reporting the HP printer in lpinfo.  Hopefully the workstations will stop
> > reporting it too.  I don't run apt on the workstations -- they get updated
> > when the Ubuntu server gets updated (their root and /usr file systems are
> > shared off the Ubuntu server).
> >

> > > You could rejig the setup and use cups-browsed on the workstations, of
> > > course, and activate AirPrint on the colour printer. Any i-device users
> > > might thank you for this.
> >
> > We really don't want i-device users sending lots of random stuff to the color
> > printer.
>
> Understandable.
>
> If all the printing from a workstation is done from GTK apps (no command
> line printing; no QT apps ; no libreoffice) you could stop (or remove)
> cups and rely on Bonjour broadcasts.

People are using libreoffice, so that needs to work.  There is another
printer, a receipts printer connected by USB to one workstation, which in turn
exports it to another workstation.  This printer handled with CUPS and is only
used by these two workstations and is not visible or accessable by any other
workstations.  These two workstations are involved with library circulation.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933