Mystery printer in firefox under Ubuntu 14.04.5

Brian ad44 at cityscape.co.uk
Fri Mar 17 12:37:38 UTC 2017

On Fri 17 Mar 2017 at 08:20:19 -0400, Robert Heller wrote:

> At Fri, 17 Mar 2017 08:22:01 +0000 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> > > Well, the Centos's avahi-daemon is not reporting the printer, but the
> > > avahi-daemon on Ubuntu server (and the Ubuntu workstations are).  If the avahi
> > > daemon is not running, will that cause other problems?
> >
> > Dunno. You'll lose mDNS/DNS-SD resolution on the network. 'apt-cache
> > rdepends avahi-daemon' might help you decide.
>
> Well I stopped avahi-daemon on the CentOS machine.  The CentOS machine is
> itself running BIND (it is the local DNS server) and does not use apt.  I
> stopped avahi-daemon on the CentOS machine.  The Ubuntu server is no longer
> reporting the HP printer in lpinfo.  Hopefully the workstations will stop
> reporting it too.  I don't run apt on the workstations -- they get updated
> when the Ubuntu server gets updated (their root and /usr file systems are
> shared off the Ubuntu server).
>

> > You could rejig the setup and use cups-browsed on the workstations, of
> > course, and activate AirPrint on the colour printer. Any i-device users
> > might thank you for this.
>
> We really don't want i-device users sending lots of random stuff to the color
> printer.

Understandable.

If all the printing from a workstation is done from GTK apps (no command
line printing; no QT apps ; no libreoffice) you could stop (or remove)
cups and rely on Bonjour broadcasts.

Or there is this;

https://launchpad.net/~roman-shipovskij/+archive/ubuntu/gtk+3.0-withoutavahiprinters

--