No Wifi with Realtek RTL8723BE on Ubuntu 16.04

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sun Jul 30 13:29:04 UTC 2017

On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 18:17:52 +0530, Sreyan Chakravarty wrote:
>I have tried installing the driver as per the instructions over here
>
>https://askubuntu.com/questions/635625/how-do-i-get-a-realtek-rtl8723be-wireless-card-to-work/635629#635629

"Installation of a custom driver is required only for kernels older
than 4.8."

>But I keep getting the following error when I am installing my driver

You try to run DKMS to build the "driver". Not installing the driver
fails, already building the driver fails.

>DKMS make.log for rtlwifi-new-0.10 for kernel 4.8.0-36-generic

DKMS tried to build the module for a kernel 4.8, not for a kernel < 4.8.

Seemingly it should work by using a kernel >= 4.8 without building a
kernel module ("driver").

Also from the above link:

"echo "options rtl8723be ant_sel=2"  | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8723be.conf
[snip]
But still if your laptop has only one antenna and it is attached to a
"wrong" connector, setting ant_sel=2, or and_sel=1 may be required."

Did you try it?

Regards,
Ralf