LCD monitor

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat Jul 29 14:37:47 UTC 2017

On Sat, 29 Jul 2017 12:13:39 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
>Put a ruler on the screen

Hi,

lines don't need to deviate to the side and the surface could be flat,
while the layer with the pixels still could be concave. However, it might
be that I'm simply not used to it.

>> Last but not least, one pixel is dead, always black and it's an
>> annoying eyecatcher
>
>I know there are standards for the number of dead pixels allowed, but
>what you are describing is a pixel where all three colours are dead
>which I think is unusual. Check the standards

1920 * 1080 = 2,073,600, so regarding ISO [1]
4 black + 4 white + 10 borked sub-pixel are allowed for the LG, since it's
a class II device.

>What is the native resolution of the display (in pixels) and are you
>running it at that resolution?

Yes, I'm running it at the native resolution 1920x1080 [2].

Regards,
Ralf

[1]
"Pixel Fault Classes

The standard lists four classes of devices, where a device of a
specified class may contain a certain maximum number of defective
pixels. Three distinct types of defective pixels are described:

    type 1 = a hot pixel (always on, being colour white)
    type 2 = a dead pixel (always off, meaning black)
    type 3 = a stuck pixel (one or more sub-pixels (red, blue or green)
    are always on or always off)

The table below shows the maximum number of allowed defects (per type)
per 1 million pixels. Definition of Pixel Fault Classes – Maximum
number of faults per million pixels
Class 	Type 1 	Type 2  Type 3 	Cluster with more than one type 1 or type 2 faults Cluster of type 3 faults
I 	0 	0 	0       0 	                                           0
II 	2 	2 	5 	0                                                  2"
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_13406-2

[2]
$ head -24 /etc/X11/xorg.conf | tail -13
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "HDMI2"
    Option      "PreferredMode" "1920x1080"
    Option      "Primary" "true"
    #Option     "Position" "0 0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier   "VGA1"
    DisplaySize  305 230
    HorizSync    29-98
    VertRefresh  50-120
    Modeline    "1152x864" 128.42 1152 1232 1360 1568 864 865 868 910