Clarification please!

compdoc compdoc at hotrodpc.com
Mon Jan 23 21:26:33 UTC 2017

On 01/23/2017 01:23 PM, Dr. Mikeal Hughes wrote:

> How do I install GUI on my server

Mate gui. Compatible with the same programs that install on the official
Ubuntu Desktop. Seems like a lot of files are installed, but in the end its
only a small amount of space used.

14.04:
sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/ppa
sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/trusty-mate

16.04 (just this one command):
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/xenial-mate

Then:
sudo apt-get update

Minimal install: (no services like bluetooth, network-manager, etc)
sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends mate-desktop-environment-core

You might also want these utils. Mate comes with Pluma, but I'm used to
gedit:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-mate-themes firefox gksu ttf-ubuntu-font-family
ttf-lyx ntp mate-system-monitor gparted gnome-disk-utility gedit
gedit-plugins
dconf-tools libatk-adaptor libgail-common mate-utils

Other utils:

system-config-printer-gnome system-config-printer-common
cups
git
synaptic
file-roller
software-center
system-config-samba
backintime-common backintime-gnome
nullmailer mailutils
smartmontools smart-notifier

Optional:

This fixed two caja errors I was getting, but might not be needed now:
sudo apt-get install libatk-adaptor libgail-common