Why do all the sudo? [was Re: Software updater no longer functional]

iceblink iceblink at seti.nl
Mon Jan 23 10:16:21 UTC 2017

On 2017-01-23 07:38, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> On 23 Jan 2017, at 07:34, Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> It's safer for experienced people too.
>
> Why is sudo safer?
>
> I explained why it isn't safer, so please explain were I'm mistaken.

Real life example: I worked as a consultant for a company where the unix
admin worked as root, always.
Because he was experienced. Or something.

At some point he turned all pale (literally!), and I asked him what was
wrong.
It turned out he was removing some folders, and he was also used to
using TAB command completion so he did not need to type the full paths.
But for some reason he made a typo, so he typed "rm -rf /", typo, "TAB",
something, "ENTER".

Guess what... he was deleting root.

Another good reason not to do everything as root is because you are much
more vulnerable to malware or evil scripts when they are started as
root.

Best regards,
Patrick