Feedback request | Documentation site reorg, switch to Markdown

Chris Perry clissold345 at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 20 22:14:13 UTC 2017

Hi Peter

Yes I object to your proposal to move the server guide to Markdown.

I've never worked on the server guide until today but it was
straightforward for me to set it up, do a simple edit to one of the
xml files, generate the html files, and check my change using a
browser. I did have the advantage that I was already set up for bzr,
ssh, and Launchpad and I can see that the requirement to use bzr, ssh,
and Launchpad could put people off - but you're not proposing to
change those I think.

My opinion is that it's too much to ask one-off contributors to go
through the bzr/ssh/Launchpad/xml process or the
bzr/ssh/Launchpad/Markdown process but that anyone who is willing to
do a series of contributions can learn either easily enough. We have
xml for the server guide at present so why expend the effort to switch
to Markdown?

Regards,

Chris.