Current_Pending_Sector value on a brand new HDD

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Feb 13 06:30:17 UTC 2017

On Monday 13 February 2017 00:40:03 Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 00:18:04 -0500, Rashkae wrote:
> >You could try returning the drive..
>
> That should be absolutely no problem.
>
> >the Manufacturer probably wont consider the drive defective until you
> >run their diagnostic utility
>
> The Utility seemingly requires Windows or MacOS or at least an empty
> USB stick. None of it is available at the moment. A few days ago I had
> a FreeBSD and Windows XP install, but I dropped both installs.

The stuff I have dl'd to do that is os agnostic, you burn it to a cd,
leave the cd in the drive and reboot to it. The program is its own dos,
and it knew how to scan for drives it could update the firmware in, asks
you if it should drive so-and-so, and a y,ENTER sends it off to do it.
I've updated 3 drives that way, and haven't lost a single byte of what
was on the drives already. YMMV of course, but thats been my results
when updating drive firmware on rotating media.  I don't imagine it
would be any different for SSD's.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)