Current_Pending_Sector value on a brand new HDD

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Feb 13 06:21:16 UTC 2017


On Sunday 12 February 2017 23:55:05 Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a new SSD and two new HDDs.
>
> The SSD is ok, but I wonder if the two HDDs are ok, too.
>
> The TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 is inside the PC case and at the beginning
> it caused click noise and input/output errors only repeated shutdowns
> made it accessible. The WD3200AAJS is used with a FANTEC DB-ALU2E
> by USB. It automatically goes to sleep. If it goes to sleep as
> e.g. /dev/sdd, it could wake up as /dev/sde and sometimes it could
> completely hide. However, since my last reboot it goes to sleep
> as /dev/sdb and wakes up as /dev/sdb. By buying the HDD and the USB
> case separated, I hoped to get rid of the automatic sleep of external
> green drives. FWIW when I had issues with the new external drive,
> sometimes my old WD external drive was connected, too and there were
> no issues with the old external drive.
>
> It's possible that the mobo and/or the power supply are/is broken,
> that might explain issues with the TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 and that there
> was a Seek_Error_Rate when I run a script with "smrtctl" and "fsck
> -vcckp" [2], some hours ago and that there isn't a Seek_Error_Rate
> any more at the moment [1], but it doesn't explain the
> Current_Pending_Sector [1] of the WD3200AAJS build-in the also
> brand-new FANTEC DB-ALU2E.
>
> At the moment everything is ok, both new HDDs don't cause issues
> anymore, but I doubt a brand new drive inside a brand-new USB case
> should show a Current_Pending_Sector value > 0.
>
> I wonder if I should return one or both HDDs and that FANTEC DB-ALU2E?
>
> Regards,
> Ralf
>
> [1]
> ######################################################################
>################################ # for d in a b c;do smartctl -i
> /dev/sd$d;smartctl -A /dev/sd$d;done smartctl 6.5 2016-05-07 r4318
> [x86_64-linux-4.9.8-1-ARCH] (local build) Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce
> Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org
>
> === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
> Device Model:     TOSHIBA-TL100
> Serial Number:    Y69B703NKKEU
> LU WWN Device Id: 5 00080d c0061b7c8
> Firmware Version: SBFZ10.3
> User Capacity:    240,057,409,536 bytes [240 GB]
> Sector Size:      512 bytes logical/physical
> Rotation Rate:    Solid State Device
> Form Factor:      2.5 inches
> Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P
> showall] ATA Version is:   Unknown(0x0ff8) (minor revision not
> indicated) SATA Version is:  SATA 3.2, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 3.0 Gb/s)
> Local Time is:    Mon Feb 13 04:58:44 2017 CET
> SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
> SMART support is: Enabled
>
> smartctl 6.5 2016-05-07 r4318 [x86_64-linux-4.9.8-1-ARCH] (local
> build) Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke,
> www.smartmontools.org
>
> === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
> SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
> Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
> ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE     
> UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE 9 Power_On_Hours          0x0012   100 
>  100   000    Old_age   Always       -       117 12 Power_Cycle_Count 
>      0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       107
> 167 Unknown_Attribute       0x0022   100   100   000    Old_age  
> Always       -       0 168 Unknown_Attribute       0x0012   100   100 
>  000    Old_age   Always       -       0 169 Unknown_Attribute      
> 0x0003   100   100   010    Pre-fail  Always       -       0 173
> Unknown_Attribute       0x0012   200   200   000    Old_age   Always  
>     -       0 192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0012   100   100   000   
> Old_age   Always       -       79 194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0023  
> 070   066   020    Pre-fail  Always       -       30 (Min/Max 17/34)
> 241 Total_LBAs_Written      0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age  
> Always       -       8148
>
> smartctl 6.5 2016-05-07 r4318 [x86_64-linux-4.9.8-1-ARCH] (local
> build) Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke,
> www.smartmontools.org
>
> === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
> Model Family:     Toshiba 3.5" DT01ACA... Desktop HDD
> Device Model:     TOSHIBA DT01ACA100
> Serial Number:    179PDK6FS
> LU WWN Device Id: 5 000039 fedd7d26d
> Firmware Version: MS2OA750
> User Capacity:    1,000,204,886,016 bytes [1.00 TB]
> Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical
> Rotation Rate:    7200 rpm
> Form Factor:      3.5 inches
> Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
> ATA Version is:   ATA8-ACS T13/1699-D revision 4
> SATA Version is:  SATA 3.0, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 3.0 Gb/s)
> Local Time is:    Mon Feb 13 04:58:44 2017 CET
> SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
> SMART support is: Enabled
>
> smartctl 6.5 2016-05-07 r4318 [x86_64-linux-4.9.8-1-ARCH] (local
> build) Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke,
> www.smartmontools.org
>
> === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
> SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
> Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
> ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE     
> UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE 1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000b   100 
>  100   016    Pre-fail  Always       -       0 2
> Throughput_Performance  0x0005   100   100   054    Pre-fail  Offline 
>     -       0 3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0007   222   222   024   
> Pre-fail  Always       -       112 (Average 95) 4 Start_Stop_Count    
>    0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       109 5
> Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   005    Pre-fail  Always  
>     -       0 7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000b   100   100   067   
> Pre-fail  Always       -       0 8 Seek_Time_Performance   0x0005  
> 100   100   020    Pre-fail  Offline      -       0 9 Power_On_Hours  
>        0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       24
> 10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0013   100   100   060    Pre-fail 
> Always       -       0 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100  
> 000    Old_age   Always       -       20 192 Power-Off_Retract_Count
> 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       108 193
> Load_Cycle_Count        0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always  
>     -       113 194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   162   162   000  
>  Old_age   Always       -       37 (Min/Max 17/37) 196
> Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always  
>     -       0 197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0022   100   100   000   
> Old_age   Always       -       0 198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0008  
> 100   100   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0 199
> UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x000a   200   200   000    Old_age   Always  
>     -       0
>
> smartctl 6.5 2016-05-07 r4318 [x86_64-linux-4.9.8-1-ARCH] (local
> build) Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke,
> www.smartmontools.org
>
> === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
> Model Family:     Western Digital Caviar Blue Serial ATA
> Device Model:     WDC WD3200AAJS-56M0A0
> Serial Number:    WD-WMAV2AA55126
> LU WWN Device Id: 5 0014ee 002588cf6
> Firmware Version: 01.03E01
> User Capacity:    320,072,933,376 bytes [320 GB]
> Sector Size:      512 bytes logical/physical
> Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
> ATA Version is:   ATA8-ACS (minor revision not indicated)
> SATA Version is:  SATA 2.5, 3.0 Gb/s
> Local Time is:    Mon Feb 13 04:58:45 2017 CET
> SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
> SMART support is: Enabled
>
> smartctl 6.5 2016-05-07 r4318 [x86_64-linux-4.9.8-1-ARCH] (local
> build) Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke,
> www.smartmontools.org
>
> === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
> SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
> Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
> ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE     
> UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE 1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x002f   200 
>  200   051    Pre-fail  Always       -       0 3 Spin_Up_Time         
>   0x0027   136   135   021    Pre-fail  Always       -       4175 4
> Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always  
>     -       31 5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   200   200   000   
> Pre-fail  Always       -       0 7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x002e  
> 200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0 9 Power_On_Hours  
>        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       32
> 10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0032   100   253   000    Old_age  
> Always       -       0 11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032   100   253  
> 000    Old_age   Always       -       0 12 Power_Cycle_Count      
> 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       10 192
> Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always  
>     -       3 193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   200   200   000   
> Old_age   Always       -       31 194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022  
> 110   096   000    Old_age   Always       -       33 196
> Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always  
>     -       0 197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   185   173   000   
> Old_age   Always       -       799 198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030 
>  173   173   000    Old_age   Offline      -       1416 199
> UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always  
>     -       0 200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x0008   185   185   000   
> Old_age   Offline      -       2042
>
> [2]
> ######################################################################
>################################ $ grep "i /dev/sdb" -A48
> new_hdd_test_smart.log
> smartctl -i /dev/sdb
> smartctl 6.5 2016-05-07 r4318 [x86_64-linux-4.9.8-1-ARCH] (local
> build) Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke,
> www.smartmontools.org
>
> === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
> Model Family:     Toshiba 3.5" DT01ACA... Desktop HDD
> Device Model:     TOSHIBA DT01ACA100
> Serial Number:    179PDK6FS
> LU WWN Device Id: 5 000039 fedd7d26d
> Firmware Version: MS2OA750
> User Capacity:    1,000,204,886,016 bytes [1.00 TB]
> Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical
> Rotation Rate:    7200 rpm
> Form Factor:      3.5 inches
> Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
> ATA Version is:   ATA8-ACS T13/1699-D revision 4
> SATA Version is:  SATA 3.0, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 3.0 Gb/s)
> Local Time is:    Sun Feb 12 20:37:05 2017 CET
> SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
> SMART support is: Enabled
>
> echo staus=0
> smartctl -A /dev/sdb
> smartctl 6.5 2016-05-07 r4318 [x86_64-linux-4.9.8-1-ARCH] (local
> build) Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke,
> www.smartmontools.org
>
> === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
> SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
> Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
> ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE     
> UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE 1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000b   100 
>  100   016    Pre-fail  Always       -       0 2
> Throughput_Performance  0x0005   100   100   054    Pre-fail  Offline 
>     -       0 3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0007   222   222   024   
> Pre-fail  Always       -       112 (Average 95) 4 Start_Stop_Count    
>    0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       109 5
> Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   005    Pre-fail  Always  
>     -       0 7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000b   077   077   067   
> Pre-fail  Always       -       3932160 8 Seek_Time_Performance  
> 0x0005   100   100   020    Pre-fail  Offline      -       0 9
> Power_On_Hours          0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always  
>     -       16 10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0013   100   100   060   
> Pre-fail  Always       -       0 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032  
> 100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       20 192
> Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always  
>     -       108 193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0012   100   100   000  
>  Old_age   Always       -       113 194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002
>   181   181   000    Old_age   Always       -       33 (Min/Max 17/34)
> 196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age  
> Always       -       0 197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0022   100   100 
>  000    Old_age   Always       -       0 198 Offline_Uncorrectable  
> 0x0008   100   100   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0 199
> UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x000a   200   200   000    Old_age   Always  
>     -       0
>
> echo staus=0


I think that before I returned them Ralf, I would goto the makers site,
and enter that model number in the firmware database to see if there is 
an updated firmware to install in each of them.

I have converted slow, occasionally flaky HD's into solid, much faster 
drives, one of which now has over 60k spinning hours on it with zero 
further problems.

That, and replacing any red sata cables with some other color, has made 
this getting long in the tooth Asus box I built close to a decade back, 
box into a system that runs from dm upgrade to dm upgrade.  Since I'm 
running trinity r14, thats a month to 2 at a time uptimes.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-- 
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
 soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>



More information about the ubuntu-users mailing list