Disable touchpad (was: Re: switch off auto-selection of text (or what ever it is called ..))

Owen Thomas owen.paul.thomas at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 22:33:29 UTC 2017

On 29 December 2017 at 09:02, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Give touchpad-indicator a try. I had considerable issues with
> enabling/disabling the touchpad on my HP G60 (xbindkey, xinputrc, etc) &
> finally installed Atareao's touchpad-indicator. I can now turn the
> touchpad on/off at the click of a mouse (or touchpad), automatically
> turn off the touchpad when I plug in a mouse, enable touchpad on exit etc).

I made the point in an earlier post that one of HP's good things appears to
be its touchpad. I used to run Ubuntu through wubi on a HP running Windows
8. I believe I didn't even need a driver for disabling and re-enabling it
because, AFAICS, this feature was fully contained in the hardware. However,
it could have been possible that the mouse was using the Windows drivers.

It would be a great innovation if these touchpad manufacturers made the
activation/deactivation functionality a self-contained feature that didn't
require a driver for the OS, or even better perhaps to be able to provide
the option of controlling this self-contained feature through a driver.

... I suppose I must pray to a different deity.