switch off auto-selection of text (or what ever it is called ..)

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Dec 25 10:39:02 UTC 2017

Robert,

On Mon, 2017-12-25 at 11:28 +0100, robert wrote:
> On 25.12.2017 11:20, Chris Green wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 25, 2017 at 10:49:45AM +0100, robert wrote:
> > > i have a super annoying problem of which I do not even know how
> > > to name it
> > > ..
> > >
> > > Some times my ubuntu 7.10 (but it was the same with former
> > > versions) on a
> > > dell xp15 starts to "autoselect" text.
> > >
> > > So when I click some where and move the cursor the text gets
> > > selected.
> > >

> > Er, that's the standard way text selection works in
> > Unix/Linux.  Click
> > and move the cursor to select text, then paste with the middle
> > button
> > (button 3).
>
> no it is not..
> You have (to my understanding) to press the shift key together with
> the
> mouse move.
>
> My box behaves as if I would have pressed the shift key, which I do
> not ..

Are you holding the mouse key down while moving the cursor? If so, you
will select text as you describe and that is normal behaviour.

If you are releasing the mouse key as you move the cursor, and text is
being selected, then that is not normal. I would suspect a sticky mouse
key! Have you tried a different mouse? Or if you are using the
trackpad, try a mouse instead, and see if that makes a difference.

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold MBCS, CITP | Senior IT Security Analyst | Directorate of IT Services | G64, Kilburn Building | The University of Manchester | Manchester M13 9PL | T: +44 161 275 6093 | M: +44 773 330 0039