Keylogger

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Sun Dec 3 07:25:41 UTC 2017

Ralf Mardorf schreef op 03-12-2017 7:36:
> On Sun, 3 Dec 2017 00:55:12 +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
>> Do you have a citation for a case where this has in fact been done
>> after a single straightforward pass of overwriting with (e.g.) zeroes?
>
> It doesn't matter if it's a myth or reality. I didn't hear about the
> electron microscope, but about laser based forensics. It doesn't harm
> to overwrite data several times with different patterns and if the HDD
> shouldn't be needed anymore, it doesn't harm to shred the HDD by using
> C-4, assuming you should own the permission to use C-4.

Yes it does harm because there are costs involved.

You are creating barriers to entry and warning people against the usage
of secure delete tools, effectively leaving them without any.

Like I said, I had to wait hours before the Debian installer would have
cleaned my partition.

This is a cost.

This implies harm.

Even overwriting a 500MB partition (/boot) took up to 30 seconds when
normally (dd if=/dev/zero) it completes within about 3 seconds.

This is a huge cost that is not in proportion to its gains.