Wayland - Was: Startup Applications not working in 16.04

Petter Adsen petter at nillabs.com
Mon Aug 21 11:33:22 UTC 2017

On 21/08/17 10:51, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 09:35:22 +0100, Colin Law wrote:

>>> Only for the GNOME edition, TTBOMK.
>>
>> The default Ubuntu desktop is (from 17.10) Gnome, so if you install
>> Ubuntu Desktop you will get Wayland. If you install Kubuntu etc then
>> you will get whatever is the default for that flavour of Ubuntu.
>
> Good to know, since I installed from the server image and I'm using
> openbox.

As openbox is an X11 wm, Wayland isn't going to affect you at all as
window management is built-in to the Wayland compositor. Openbox will
continue to run under X11. There are hacks to run certain X11 window
managers under Weston, but not all of them work as they should (AFAIK).

If you want to switch to Wayland, however, look for a compositor you
like - there are several projects out there. (For some reason it seems
most of them are tiling-based.)

Petter