Startup Applications not working in 16.04

Barry Premeaux bpremeaux at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 04:29:23 UTC 2017

>Also, this page might help. It offers several solutions:

h>ttps://www.linuxbabe.com/ubuntu/install-autostart-
xscreensaver-ubuntu-16-04-16-10
<https://www.linuxbabe.com/ubuntu/install-autostart-xscreensaver-ubuntu-16-04-16-10>

I had been to this link before and was aware of the need to remove the
gnome-screensaver to clear the autostart issues.  I thought I had already.
But, went ahead and reran the 'sudo apt remove gnome-screensaver' command
again.  Didn't get a file not found error, so apparently I had not removed
it after all.  Rebooted and now xscreensaver runs as it should.

The only reason for running xscreensaver is that it offers so many more
options, like GLslideshow, which is my particular favorite.  I have looked
over the gnome-screensaver commands and settings and really don't find it
as robust.

Barry