update-grub error {cannot find device for /} is /dev mounted ?

Sreyan Chakravarty sreyan.mailing at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 17:45:02 UTC 2017

I have followed the instructions from this video-:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0b4I89LY5E

I have created an encrypted LVM that contains my root , swap and /home
partitions.

I am landing up with a partition called cryptswap1 after installation
strangely.

Now after installing the system through the installer into these partitions
I have chrooted into the system using these commands-:

mount /dev/mapper/ubuntu-root /mnt
mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/@/boot

For some reason when I mount the root partition from the LVM it is under
"@" directory in the mount point. Hence I have to mount the separate boot
partition under /mnt/@/boot.

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/@/boot/efi (Mount the Efi partition)

Mount the Virtual filesystems-:

mount --rbind /dev dev
mount --rbind /sys sys
mount --rbind /run run
mount --bind /proc proc

Then perform the chroot
chroot . /bin/bash -l

when I try to run grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

I get the error-:
/usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig error cannot find device for / is /dev mounted

can someone please help ? Is this because I am using / partition in an
encrypted LVM ? I have already mounted /dev.

Regards,
Sreyan