Different kernels in same Xubuntu (16.04.3)

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Sun Aug 13 10:11:46 UTC 2017

hi,
Am Samstag, den 12.08.2017, 20:22 -0700 schrieb MR ZenWiz:
> I'm running Xubuntu 16.04.3 on my desktop and my laptop.
>
> The desktop was installed from a fresh 16.04.1 image and has been
> kept
> up to date.
>
> The laptop was installed form a 16.04.2 DVD and has been kept up to
> date.
>
> However, my desktop is running (now) the 4.4.0-91 kernel, and my
> laptop is running the 4.10.<something> kernel.
>
> Why would that be?  How do I get the desktop up on the 4.10 kernel
> (safely) without a reinstall?

quoting from https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

"The Ubuntu LTS enablement (also called HWE or Hardware Enablement)
stacks provide newer kernel and X support for existing Ubuntu LTS
releases. These enablement stacks can be installed manually but are
also available when installing with Ubuntu LTS point release media.
These newer enablement stacks are meant for desktop and server and even
recommended for cloud or virtual images. However, if one wants to
remain on the original GA (General Availability) stacks, the options
are:

    Install from a previous
12.04.0/12.04.1/14.04.0/14.04.1/16.04.0/16.04.1 point release and
update. Previous releases are archived at http://old-releases.ubuntu.co
m/"

The 16.04.2 and newer point releases will ship with an updated kernel
and X stack by default for the desktop.

So your .1 install simply uses the GA stack as advertised, while
anything newer than .1 will use the rolling release of the kernel...
(see the "Proposal" section on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/RollingLT
SEnablementStack )

ciao
	oli