(OT) Google: "Somebody knows your password"

Volker Wysk post at volker-wysk.de
Fri Aug 4 17:20:09 UTC 2017

Am Freitag, 4. August 2017, 17:03:40 CEST schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> On Fri, 04 Aug 2017 16:11:47 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
> >Should I post it (as an attachement) to this list (for the curious
> >ones of you)?
>
> Volker,
>
> don't be that excited and confused. Nothing happened. Somebody tried to
> open your door, but couldn't do it.

Someone might have gotten hold of my (now changed) password! How and why?

> No, do not post this email! Don't do it for several reasons, but just
> the first reason is important: Do one step after the other, in a sane
> order.

It might be the key to finding out what happened. IOW, if this really is a
phishing attack.

> >Now, why *does* there be an "unknown device" listed on the google
> >accounts website???
>
> ...did you ask the above Google? If not, why didn't you ask this Google?
>
> Did you ask Google if they send such mails and especially if they send
> such an email to you? If not, why didn't you ask this google?

I would have, but I couldn't find out how. I've tried some half hour to find a
contact form, or an email-adress, with no success. I've looked in
support.google.com, accounts.google.com and google.com. They have a lot of
help pages (which weren't helpful for me), but no possibility to contact a
human. The sender of those mails to me is "no-reply at ..."

Otherwise, there are the google help forums / product forums, but there is no
fitting topic.

Bye
Volker