Problem reinstalling Xubuntu 16.04

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 20:07:59 UTC 2017

On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 2:30 AM, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 16:10:31 -0700, MR ZenWiz wrote:
>>The real question is this: why does it boot from this ancient 80GB
>>hard drive in two different OSes, but not from either of a 320 or
>>120GB hard drive that have Xubuntu on them?
>
> What messages do you get?

I misspoke - it will boot from the old 80GB hard drive, Windows 7 and
Ubuntu 11.04, but it won't install on the other two disks.  It boots
from the install DVD or USB drive, but it hangs part way through
installation, a different place every time.

IIRC, when I booted the externally installed Xubuntu 16.04 on the
320GB drive, it started to boot, stopped for a long wihle, then came
up in BusyBox saying there was a disk i/o error, but not which one.
It suggested checking the command line (correct), checking the UUID on
the command line (correct), checking the drive parameters (none) and
one other thing I can't recall, but i used the BusyBox commands to
check all of these and nothing showed up as off.  It just won't boot
from the bigger drives (it used to work just fine last time I was
running it, a few weeks ago).

I'll try again today with the battery in and the power cord, but I'm
ready to leave it with the 80GB drive and just pull it out for those
times when I have to use a Windows machine and the VM won't do
(separate issue coming soon), like with the DHS I-9 PDF forms that
require Adobe Acrobat Reader in order to function properly.

Thanks.