How to boot a win 7 hard drive that was in Ubuntu system?

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 03:58:37 UTC 2017

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 9:39 AM, Jim <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:
> On 04/06/2017 06:05 PM, Joel Rees wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>> If the OP's original drive that contains MSWindows 7 is still as it
>> was when he bought it, there's probably a recovery partition.
>

> It does. Maybe I was thinking wrong but I felt I was in a catch 22
> situation.

Without knowing about the *nix commands to overwrite the MBR, I guess
you were. If I'd looked at the thread earlier, I'd have pointed them
out to you.

At this point, I'll just suggest you do a web search on the BIOS boot
process, then re-read the grub documentation.

> Linux/grub was causing the SP not to install, but if I unplugged
> the linux drives win 7 would not boot. It just occurred to that maybe I
> could have left the linux drives in, booted to win 7, used the recovery
> partition and then shut down and removed the linux drives and tried to boot
> win 7. None of the googling I did suggested anything like that.

I think that's partly because so many users of MSWindows just want
someone else to hand them a magic solution, and partly because most
users in this situation would be panicked about their data on the
MSWindows drive, not realizing that *nix provides them tools to save
that before they use the recovery options.

>> So he actually should be  thinking in terms of restoring a Microsoft
>> MBR on that drive, after copying off the MBR that grub seems to have
>> overwritten it with.
>>

> That's what I ended up doing using a Boot Repair cd.

And I'll encourage you to go ahead and look up the boot process, for
when you need to do something like this again.

Here's some pages on wikipedia, to get started:

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booting
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS

I don't say I distrust the Boot Repair CD on sourceforge, I just say
that the less people you have to trust to play with your MBRs, the
better.

(If you personally know yannabuntu the developer in charge of the
project, that might alter the equation significantly.)

--
Joel Rees

I'm imagining I'm a novelist:
http://joel-rees-economics.blogspot.com/2017/01/soc500-00-00-toc.html