How to boot a win 7 hard drive that was in Ubuntu system?

Jim jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Fri Apr 7 00:39:42 UTC 2017

On 04/06/2017 06:05 PM, Joel Rees wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 4:36 PM, Xen <list at xenhideout.nl> wrote:
>> [...]
>> Rather, I hope no one minds that I share this easy to find mirror (that I
>> just googled):
>>
>> http://mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/
>>

> Mind or otherwise, can you vouch for the images there? Or is there
> some way to check against a known-valid cryptographic checksum?

There were checksums there but I have no idea how valid they are. When I
went there I didn't know it was a torrent site. Having never used a
torrent before I couldn't get it to work.

The only reason I went there in the first place was I tried the normal
channels and was unsuccessful. I paid for my computer with win 7 on it.
As Karl pointed out to me the product code was on a sticker on the side.
I went to MS filled out all the info and was told, oops that's an oem
version you must get it from the vendor. Went to HP and they said oops
that's no longer available for download, but we'll send you one for $30.

> I personally would rather pay for a copy of MSWindows Home than
> download an image from a non-Microsoft site, but maybe that's just me.
> (And I hate to recommend paying extra Microsoft tax, but a system
> installer is just too easy to hid the really bad kinds of malware on.)
>
> If the OP's original drive that contains MSWindows 7 is still as it
> was when he bought it, there's probably a recovery partition.

It does. Maybe I was thinking wrong but I felt I was in a catch 22
situation. Linux/grub was causing the SP not to install, but if I
unplugged the linux drives win 7 would not boot. It just occurred to
that maybe I could have left the linux drives in, booted to win 7, used
the recovery partition and then shut down and removed the linux drives
and tried to boot win 7. None of the googling I did suggested anything
like that.

> So he actually should be  thinking in terms of restoring a Microsoft
> MBR on that drive, after copying off the MBR that grub seems to have
> overwritten it with.

That's what I ended up doing using a Boot Repair cd.

Regards,  Jim