16.04 problems - install, inactive/suspend, hard disk

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Thu Sep 29 05:30:29 UTC 2016

Hello Petter,

Tuesday, September 27, 2016, 7:25:26 AM, Petter wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 00:42:40 +0200
> Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 16 September 2016 at 22:11, rikona <rikona at sonic.net> wrote:
>> > I tried a number of suggested things - boot-repair, etc - none of
>> > which worked, and some of which made things worse.
>>
>> In my experience ``boot-repair'' is useless junk. The help sites now
>> point to a tool that is more work and far less effective than booting
>> from a live CD/USB, editing the boot command line to point to your
>> root FS, and running update-grub.

> +1. And huzzah for efibootmgr, it is invaluable in figuring out (and
> fixing) UEFI boot problems.

That would have been VERY nice to know about at the time. :-))

>> > If you do not have an ESP on sda it fails.
>>
>> Yes, it will.

> No, it won't. There might indeed be an installer bug that prevents you
> from using the ESP on any drive but sda,

I learned this critical piece of information from a couple of
discussions on the net. The consensus in these discussions was that it
was an installer bug.

> but my ESP is on sdc and my system still boots.

How did you get it there? By using efibootmgr?

> efibootmgr has a -d flag to specify device that
> defaults to the first disk, but any disk should work fine with a
> properly implemented firmware.

> The _installer_ might fail, but if it does that is a bug and should
> be fixed.

I don't know how to report the bug but it probably should be reported.

--

 rikona