"Error splicing file: File too large"

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sun Sep 18 13:48:52 UTC 2016

On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 14:15:05 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
>asking the OP to get the actual data of file and device for you in
>bytes using tools that use the same base makes a lot more sense than
>hypothetical math experiments or conversions.

I agree with this, so the OP should consider to use command line
tools, to get the exact size of the stick and of the file.

What tools to use might require reading man pages ;D. I wouldn't
necessarily trust each and every Internet help page.

For a file 4.1KB/4.0KiB easily could vs 225 bytes:

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ du --si .customization/Pentagram.svg
4.1k	.customization/Pentagram.svg
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ du -sh .customization/Pentagram.svg
4.0K	.customization/Pentagram.svg
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ ls -l .customization/Pentagram.svg
-rw-r--r-- 1 rocketmouse rocketmouse 225 Feb 19  2013 .customization/Pentagram.svg
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ ls -lH .customization/Pentagram.svg
-rw-r--r-- 1 rocketmouse rocketmouse 225 Feb 19  2013 .customization/Pentagram.svg
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ exiftool .customization/Pentagram.svg | grep File\ S
File Size                       : 225 bytes

For the USB stick

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ man parted
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ man fdisk