Installing dual boot ubuntu + windows 10

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Tue Sep 13 16:43:39 UTC 2016

On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 14:32:48 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>If you don't trust Ubuntu's elderly GRUB, just boot into Fedora and
>use its GRUB updater. That should add Ubuntu to your existing boot
>menu. However, every time you update Ubuntu's kernel, you must boot
>into Fedora and re-update GRUB.

If you edit grub.cfg manually, as I did, you even don't need to chroot,
however, by a chroot the OP could update grub.cfg by the auto-thingy
without the need to reboot. Wit the latest LTS the OP even could use
the easier systemd-nspawn to uptade.

My trick is, that I even don't manually edit my grub.cfg each time I
update. Currently the grub.cfg anyway is part of my Ubuntu install.
What I do is to change links.

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ ls -hAl /mnt/moonstudio/boot/ | grep lrw
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   30 Aug 29 21:09 initrd.img-lowlatency -> initrd.img-4.4.0-36-lowlatency
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   27 Aug 29 21:09 vmlinuz-lowlatency -> vmlinuz-4.4.0-36-lowlatency

As long as links are only required for one kernel, a user could even
use the default links, which are not in /boot, but directly in /. I
dislike those links, so I remove them and add the links to /boot.

Regards,
Ralf