How to remove a damaged Wired Connection

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sun Sep 4 20:57:24 UTC 2016

On Sun, 04 Sep 2016 17:01:29 +0200, Chas IRONS wrote:
>> 2. If you wait till the router is in a strange state (not responding
>> to the power down switch) and start the PC then the PC does not
>> connect to the router until you power cycle the router.
>>

>Partly true. Even if I start the router first and then start the PC,
>the PC does not connect to the router. I have to reboot the router via
>its Application menu or disconnect and reconnect the USB cable. When
>the router does not respond to the power off switch, the same process
>restores its function.

What happens if the router is in a strange state and you just
disconnect and reconnect USB? Does this fix everything?

Assuming you can't power of the router and then you would disconnect
and reconnect the USB cable, could you after doing this power of the
router?

I wonder if the router and/or the PC's USB ports e.g. have energy
saving options.

"This setting takes effect when the router is running
on battery power. When enabled, wireless network
will be turned off when no wireless clients are
connected to the router for more than the specified
Maximum Idle Time.
You can turn wireless back on by pressing the
power button for 1 second.
Set the Maximum Idle Time for your wireless
network before entering Power Save mode(if it is
enabled).
Determines the maximum number of wireless PCs,
devices, and other clients that can connect to your
wireless network." -
http://www.dlink.com/-/media/Consumer_Products/DWR/DWR%20730/Manual/DWR_730_man_revA_1_v1_0_eu_en_20120507.pdf

Is the above true for the USB network connection? Is getting power
from an USB port considered an external power supply or is it still
considered battery power?

Apart from the router's power saving options, are there any power
saving options for the PC's USB ports?

Regards,
Ralf