Out of memory (oom) issues

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Sun Sep 4 08:46:57 UTC 2016

Am Samstag, den 03.09.2016, 15:23 -0500 schrieb Chris:

> > you also seem to be running wicd *and* NetworkManager at the same
> > time,
> > i guess they start wrangling about your network cards (i guess the
> > modprobe process in the list is related to this too) only one tool
> > should manage your hardware, pick one and turn off the other ...
> I took a look at startup processes on boot and it shows
> networkmanager
> set to 'no' and wicd to 'yes' though looking at top I see that both
> are
> running. I never noticed was wicd used in 14.04LTS?

wicd has never been supported or officially recommended in ubuntu. note
that startup-applications only applies to the UI part of network
manager (nm-applet). the system daemon (NetworkManager) obviously still
runs as you can see by looking at your processes.
> Found nothing useful in /var/crash however I did install Variety on
> the
> 29th of Aug

i did notice variety in the logs, but it didnt seem to actually take
much ram there ... though as i just learned it can use external tools
like convert to apply filters and effect to your wallpaper on the fly
... that could indeed be very ram hungry, especially if it downloads
random stuff from the internet all the time too where you cant really
predict what it takes to adjust it to your screen or filter selection.

ciao
	oli