How to remove a damaged Wired Connection

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 08:45:02 UTC 2016

On 4 September 2016 at 09:34, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Sep 2016 08:29:07 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
>>If the above is correct then it seems to me, as I previously
>>suggested, that there is a problem with the router and nothing wrong
>>with the PC at all.
>
> Hi Colin,
>
> I disagree insofar as the OP does use Ubuntu 16.04 and by default
> 16.04 doesn't use kernel device names anymore. What makes you thing
> that the OP didn't screw up something by the customization? The
> chain of evidence could suffer from fortuitousness.

If a machine is upgraded to 16.04 (rather than fresh install) then I
believe that it stays with the ethn device names (at least that is my
experience).  Also the fact remains that if all works well when the
router is in a known good state but problems start when the router is
in a known (but unknown) strange state then suspicion must surely fall
primarily on the router. It appears to me that there is no evidence
that there is anything wrong at the PC.

Colin