How to remove a damaged Wired Connection

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sun Sep 4 08:34:48 UTC 2016

On Sun, 4 Sep 2016 08:29:07 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
>If the above is correct then it seems to me, as I previously
>suggested, that there is a problem with the router and nothing wrong
>with the PC at all.

Hi Colin,

I disagree insofar as the OP does use Ubuntu 16.04 and by default
16.04 doesn't use kernel device names anymore. What makes you thing
that the OP didn't screw up something by the customization? The
chain of evidence could suffer from fortuitousness.

However, how to make the recommended firmware update is described by
the user manual.

http://www.dlink.com/-/media/Consumer_Products/DWR/DWR%20730/Manual/DWR_730_man_revA_1_v1_0_eu_en_20120507.pdf

FWIW the user manual's troubleshooting recommends to replace the USB
cable.

On Fri, 02 Sep 2016 13:37:56 +0200, Chas IRONS wrote:
>The DWR-730 has two buttons on the side. The top switch usually powers
>down with "BYE" message. Sometimes there is no response at all, so it
>stays on overnight.

The manual claims that there are three buttons:

"Power Button", "Reset Button" and "WiFi/WPS Button".

Have you checked the support?

http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/support/product/dwr-730-portable-hspa-plus-21-mbps-router

We can't do it for you: "Click here to register your product and open a
support case."

On Sun, 04 Sep 2016 07:31:26 +0200, Chas IRONS wrote:
>So what do you suggest now?

Follow the advices that already were given.

>I wonder if I could disable the network card (eth0) in bios before
>Ubuntu boots up?

Take a look at the BIOS settings and if possible disable it. If it
shouldn't be an on-board device, but really a "card", you also could
remove the card.

Regards,
Ralf