Software update problem

Bob ubuntu-qygzanxc at listemail.net
Sun Oct 30 23:59:34 UTC 2016

** Reply to message from "Bob" <ubuntu-qygzanxc at listemail.net> on Wed, 26 Oct
2016 12:33:34 -0700

Thank you Colin and Ralf for your assistance.  Things are working now but I
don't really know what the problem was.

> > calling testparm as colin suggests should also tell you something about
> > the state of the samba config ...
>
> bob1 at Jupiter:~$ testparm
> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
> rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
> WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated
> WARNING: Ignoring invalid value 'share' for parameter 'security'
> Error loading services.
> bob1 at Jupiter:~$

I found the lines in the smb.conf file with the WARNING messages and changed
them to have a # as the first character of the line, that seemed to fix the
problem.  I did some more searching and concluded that what I changed was not
necessary so I removed my changes, the problem did not return.   One thing I
had forgotten to do was save the original file so I can not test to see if the
original file was corrupted or not, which I now suspect was the original
problem.

--
Robert Blair

What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.  -- Edward Langley, Artist (1928-1995)