Software update problem

Bob ubuntu-qygzanxc at listemail.net
Wed Oct 26 19:24:05 UTC 2016

** Reply to message from Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> on Tue, 25 Oct 2016
08:10:58 +0100

> On 24 October 2016 at 21:45, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 24 October 2016 at 22:29, Bob <ubuntu-qygzanxc at listemail.net> wrote:
> > > Got this error at the end of autoremove.
> > >
> > > Errors were encountered while processing:
> > >  samba
> > > E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
> >
> > Try:
> >
> > sudo dpkg --configure -a
> >
> > If that works, then:
> >
> > sudo apt install -f
> >
> > And if that works, then:
> >
> > sudo apt clean
> > sudo apt autoclean
> > sudo apt update
> > sudo apt dist-upgrade -y
> >
> > This should get all package issues resolved.
> >

> Are we sure this is a packaging error?  The log has:
>
> Setting up samba (2:4.3.11+dfsg-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) ...
> insserv: script ups-monitor: service ups-monitor already provided!
> Job for smbd.service failed because the control process exited with
> error code. See "systemctl status smbd.service" and "journalctl -xe"
> for details.
> invoke-rc.d: initscript smbd, action "start" failed.
>
> That sounds to me more like a configuration problem with samba, hence my
> suggestion that the OP ran testparm.
>
> Bob, are you currently using Samba, and if so is it working ok?

Yes to both.

Connecting to a Buffalo LAN attached 1tb disk drive with smb://buffalo/share/.

Sorry for the delay in answering, have not been home for a couple of days.

--
Robert Blair

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.  -- P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian