rootkit checking

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Mon Oct 24 17:29:01 UTC 2016

On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 15:49:55 +0100, R Kimber wrote:
>Which would people recommend for a home computer?

Assuming for you and me the term home computer is for a similar kind of
computer, then I recommend to use no rootkit scanner at all. I only
used one time such a thingy, when a penpale ask me to check, if I get
the same false positive using tiger/chrootkit. It was the most
superfluous test ever, since this false positive was reported
uncountable times and just 10 seconds Internet research was needed, to
get the confirmation.

Better read each day https://www.ubuntu.com/usn/ and gauge what to do,
assuming a package you've got installed is affected. If you're using
other distros, too, they usually have a security team providing similar
news sites for their packages, they even might provide a command to do
it for you.

Of course, this are just my 2 Cents.

Regards,
Ralf