Does my machine send spam???

Volker Wysk post at volker-wysk.de
Tue Oct 18 13:05:24 UTC 2016

Am Montag, 17. Oktober 2016, 23:25:43 CEST schrieb Karl Auer:
> > I could also filter them out.
>
> Most mailers have a spam marker. If yours does, just mark received spam
> to help your mail client learn about it, and more spam will end up
> automatically classified correctly and dropped in your spam box. Then
> check your spam box once a week or so, just in case some good emails
> got misclassified.

I'm not downloading my mail. It stays in my (local) IMAP server. So I need a
spam filter in the server, right? Such as:

> Since you are running your own email server, you could consider
> installing one of the many spam killers such as spamassassin. These
> also learn from marked spam, and get better with time. However, all
> filters take a lot of care and feeding.

> Alternatively, and especially if you manage only a few accounts, you
> could subscribe to a mailwashing service. For a few dollars a month per
> address, they will do all the hard work, delivering a clean stream of
> email to your server. They usually have whitelisting, blacklisting and
> quarantine features, so you can permit or block certain senders, and
> manually forward any messages that get misclassified.

This sounds like overkill for the some 5 to 10 spam messages per day, which i
get. My mail server has exactly one account - guess whose?  :-)

Thanks for your helpful and competent background information!

I think I'll dig into spamassasin.

Bye!
Volker