Im sorry

Gilles Gravier ggravier at fsfe.org
Thu Oct 13 07:14:54 UTC 2016

Hi!

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 8:24 PM, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 16:50:36 +0200, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> >On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 3:14 PM, Joel Rees <joel.rees at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Anybody know how to do this with the Android gmail app?
> >>

> ><SARCASM>
> >Move to 21st century? :)
> ></SARCASM>
>
> Be aware that plain HTML mails are not displayed in a human readable
> style, by the list's archive. Multipart is not the same as HTML only.
>
> FWIW assuming the web interface of gmail should provide plain text and
> the Android app shouldn't, then use a browser instead of the app. FWIW
> I'm using a MUA, even on my tablet PC.
>
> I'm not sure I understand the sarcasm. IMO nobody nowadays should use
> HTML for emails anymore. Some users don't display HTML by their MUAs,
> for good reasons. The MUAs could display HTML, but for good reasons
> allow to disable it.

"IMO nobody nowadays should use HTML for emails anymore" you say.

I invite you to have a look at the following graphic :
https://blog.hubspot.com/hubfs/Screen_Shot_2015-07-24_at_9.14.53_PM.png

Which summarizes the debate in 2014 (and the trend is only going
forward)... If you don't want to follow the link, the short answer is 64%
people prefer receiving HTML e-mails form companies than text. I have to
apologize for working in a world where businesses tend to drive, well,
business. Following the majority rule seems to be a good thing to do.

Feel free to recommend another way to procede, of course. I'm happy if some
people go back to UUCP e-mail polling... But I'm thinking that when any
user installs Ubuntu, then boots it, the default e-mail clients provided
(Thunderbird, Evolution...) all are set to HTML by default.

Gilles

Gilles Gravier - ggravier at fsfe.org
Using Google Apps web mail