New box, memory problem

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Sat Oct 1 04:47:42 UTC 2016

Hello compdoc,

Friday, September 30, 2016, 5:36:08 PM, compdoc wrote:

>> If I put one pair in 2&4 with 1&3 open, might that damage the MB?

> won't damage it, but it might not boot or be stable. OK to try, though.

Hmmmm... if not stable, then not a good way to tell if those slots are
actually working properly on the MB.

> Make sure no dirt or hairs are in the memory slots.

All brand new, spotless, air jet cleaned.

> When using the maximum amount of ram, not all boards support the
> maximum speed the ram is rated for. You might need to set for a
> lower speed like 1600 before adding all dimms, and then try setting
> the proper speed.

mem is 1600 - need to go down from there?

> You can also try clearing the cmos after installing all dimms.

I'll try it...

> Make sure the slots you are calling 1&3 and 2&4 are shown that way
> in the manual.

Yes - checked that carefully. :-)

> You don't mention the cpu,

AMD FX6350

> ram speed,

1600 ddr3 2x8G pairs - I have 2 pairs [looks like 32G in ddr3 comes as
4 items, not 2].

> if the dimms are all the same brand and model,

Same brand, very similar model, but NOT exactly the same, as reported
by memtest. [Patriot Viper]

> or if the bios is the newest version for the board.

Yes, was downloaded.

> A.6 is the last bios shown on the MSI support page. Updating the bios can
> fix weird problems like these, but

> before flashing run memtest86 for one pass.

Ran both pairs, separately, and were OK. Errors if run together [all
4].

> I have also seen a sliver of thermal paste get under the cpu and
> stop a pci-e slot from working in x4 or x8 mode.

Good thought... used the CPU pad, though, no paste.

> No reason something like that, or even a bent cpu pin couldn't cause
> this problem.

Might a bent pin cause this, when it seems to run quite well with one
mem pair?

I saw a comment that AMD mem processors are finicky when fully loaded.
Is this true and/or a possible cause? If so, would adding ANY second
pair, even if smaller mem, still be a problem? I'd settle for a
reliable 24G if 32 won't work. Would like more than 16, though...

Thanks for the many suggestions!

--

 rikona