Odd error report from grub-install

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 02:52:57 UTC 2016

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 3:39 PM, Colin Watson <cjwatson at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> I hope that this message will turn up for future people searching for
> this problem.
>
> > So why they interfere now, after all this time of active maintenance
> > on the 'buntu install is beyond me.
>
> It's doubtless always done this and you just noticed now.  Like I say,
> it's a warning indicating that GRUB has worked around a problem, so you
> could have been running a system quite happily in this state for years.

I think not.  This occurred in the middle of multiple manual uses of
grub-install, with no intervening boots to Windows.  (I was putting
multiple bootable Xubuntus on a Mushkin USB stick from i386 and AMD-64
install DVDs, and initially mistakenly doing the grub-install to /dev/sda
trying to adjust which was the default.)  The problem was not "detected"
before or after.  I put it in quotes because I now doubt that there was a
real threat, and think the detection was faulty.  Really strange that it
would appear just the one time.

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */