bind 9 fails to update

robert robert at redcor.ch
Tue Mar 22 08:19:04 UTC 2016

Hi there,
I am running Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS.
Now when I try to upgrade I get the following error:
Setting up bind9 (1:9.9.5.dfsg-3ubuntu0.8) ...
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
  * Starting domain name service... bind9 [fail]
invoke-rc.d: initscript bind9, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing package bind9 (--configure):
  bind9

what I did try is to uninstall bind9 and to reinstall it.

How can I fix this error?

thanks
robert