Ubuntu Secrets Book?

Tony Baechler bats at batsupport.com
Wed Mar 9 11:14:18 UTC 2016

On 3/8/2016 11:31 AM, Amichai Rotman wrote:
> I'd really like to know more about these subjects:
>
>   * How to add / edit Ubuntu features to DConf Editor.
>   * An in-depth explanation of the system files.
>   * Tips and Tricks.
>   * etc.
>
> I guess it would be the documntation Ubuntu developers consult - but written
> for a non-developer audience. Something like:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Ubuntu-Linux-Toolbox-Commands-Debian/dp/1118183525
>
> Amichai

Have you tried the Debian Handbook? While it's written for Debian, most of
it applies to Ubuntu. It's written for admins with an emphasis on the
terminal, but should certainly explain how system files work and has lots of
tips and tricks. As an example, it has a very good chapter on setting up and
installing Debian in a virtual machine with various packages. Donations are
appreciated and I think you can buy it, but it's also available for free
online in various formats, including a Debian package. It's written by
Debian developers but it isn't written for a developer audience. I highly
recommend it and I've found it to be useful.

http://www.debian-handbook.info/