Problem with Ubuntu 14.04 rsyslog TLS

Claudio ML claudioml at mediaservice.net
Mon Mar 7 15:40:52 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I am pretty lost with rsyslog with tcp reciever with TLS. My software
versions are:

$DefaultNetstreamDriver gtls
$DefaultNetstreamDriverCAFile /etc/rsyslog.d/ca-cert.pem
$DefaultNetstreamDriverCertFile /etc/rsyslog.d/server-cert.pem
$DefaultNetstreamDriverKeyFile /etc/rsyslog.d/server-key.pem
#$ModLoad imtcp
$InputTCPMaxSessions 1000
$InputTCPServerStreamDriverMode 1
$InputTCPServerStreamDriverAuthMode x509/name
$InputTCPServerStreamDriverPermittedPeer host.host.com

Into the client side i have generated the certificates from the same CA,
and configured it like this:
DefaultNetstreamDriverCAFile /etc/rsyslog/ca-key.pem
$DefaultNetstreamDriverCertFile /etc/rsyslog/host-cert.pem
$DefaultNetstreamDriverKeyFile /etc/rsyslog/host-key.pem
$ActionSendStreamDriver gtls # use gtls netstream driver
$ActionSendStreamDriverMode 1 # require TLS
$ActionSendStreamDriverAuthMode x509/name
#$ActionSendStreamDriverPermittedPeer server.host.host

The error i have is the following:

LogServer rsyslogd-2078: netstream session 0x7fb070004d80 will be closed
due to error

If i enable the debug, the rilevant parts are:

4604.960233682:7fb0777fe700: omfile: start of data: 'Mar  7 16:30:04
LogServer rsyslogd-2078: netstream session 0x7fb070004d80 will be closed
due to error [try http://www.rsyslog.c'

For the certificate creation, i have used this guide:

http://www.rsyslog.com/doc/v7-stable/tutorials/tls_cert_ca.html

If i put the authentication of the tls to "anon", it works correctly
($ActionSendStreamDriverAuthMode anon).

Any idea of how to debug this ?

Cheers,
Claudio.