ubuntu 16.04 vnc doesn work

Carson Chittom carson at wistly.net
Fri Jun 24 16:09:38 UTC 2016

Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> writes:

>> For the differences between -X and -Y, just "man ssh" in a terminal.
>
> That rather assumes I'm using a Linux box to read and write these
> messages. I'm not. I am using Unix, but not Linux and one without
> X.11.

man came from AT&T Unix (in 1971, says Wikipedia), and most modern Linux
distributions ship OpenSSH, which is from OpenBSD.  I'm writing this
from a laptop running OpenBSD 5.9, at it happens (in Emacs--yet another
cross-platform application).  Essentially every open source operating
system (as well as the closed-source OS X) include both man and ssh, in
some form.  Nothing about either tool is Linux-specific, although Linux
distributions use both.

So, yes, I did make the assumption that you have access to a system
capable of running both man and ssh.  Given that this is a list
specifically about Ubuntu, this is hardly an unreasonable assumption.

However, if you prefer (and still care), here's a webified version of
ssh's man page: http://man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-current/man1/ssh.1