Simple Scan problem

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri Jun 3 07:38:19 UTC 2016

Bob wrote:
> I have two MFP devices, an HP ENVY_120_series and an
> HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M277dw (just purchased) both connect to my LAN
> wireless. I can scan documents using the 120 flatbed. When I try to
> scan using the M277 I get an error trying to scan from the flatbed or
> document feeder in Simple Scan that says:
>
> Failed to scan
> Unable to connect to scanner.
>
> The description of scan bugs do not exactly fit what I am seeing but I
> will assume it is a known problem.  Any suggestions on other scan
> programs (I mainly scan to PDF) that I could try?

You could try xsane, however I suppose the error is not caused by Simple
Scan but by the sane library which is used by all the GUI scan programs.
You can check if your scanner is found with the command

sane-find-scanner

in a terminal. Further help might be found on these pages:

<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/sane>
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SANE%20-%20Installing%20a%20scanner%20that%20isn't%20auto-detected>

Nils