interface renaming (was: Re: Moving towards NetworkManager)

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Sat Jul 30 23:33:08 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 11:57:59AM -0400, Tom H wrote:

> The old way was OK if you had a couple of NICs, but once you had half
> a dozen NICs on a box, ...

In my configuration system, I have a configuration setting that looks like
this (reduced to the contents relevant in this thread):

    &set_conf (provider =>
               &class_map ({
                   "site1.domain.de" => {
                       "alice1" => {
                           type  => "pppoe", ifname => "ppp0", phys_if=>"eth1",
                           ppp_user => 'XXXXXXXXXX at alice-office-dsl.de',
                           dyndns => {Host=>'site1.domain.de',Iface=>'ppp0'},
                       },
                       "TCOM2" => {
                           type    => "pppoe", ifname  => "ppp1", phys_if => "eth2",
                           ppp_user => 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX at t-online.de',
                           dyndns => {Host=>'site1.domain',Iface=>'ppp1'},
                       },
                   },
                   "site2.domain.de" => {
                       "alice1" => {
                           type    => "pppoe", ifname  => "ppp0", phys_if => "eth1",
                           ppp_user => 'XXXXXXXXX at alice3-bbi.de',
                           dyndns => {Host=>'site2domain.de',Iface=>'ppp0'}
                       },
                       "KDG" => {
                           type    => "ether", ifname  => "eth2",
                       }
                   },
    }));

This defines for every site, which interface is to be used to connect to
different providers via different methods (pppoe or cable).

This setting is about 10 years old. Defined and committed to subversion ONCE,
changed only when an additional site and/or provider is added. When the router
is installed, it picks its snippet from this configuration setting (which it
knows by its domain-name) and auto-configures itself according this
definition.

That's pretty convenient: just install from the customized server-CD, and the
postinstall-script will check out the configurations system from subversion
and configures itself. It feels like magic.

So with this new, shiny naming scheme: how would I know in ADVANCE how the
interface to provider Telekom will be named on the mainboard that will be
installed on that site? Will it be the same name when the mainboard will be
replaced five years later with a completely different mainboard?

--
Josef Wolf
jw at raven.inka.de