Moving towards NetworkManager

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Fri Jul 29 12:48:53 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 01:50:30PM +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> looks more like an install time thing, i.e. a replacement for netcfg in
> debian-installer, the network bit in ubiquity, the cloud-init network
> configuration and snappys first boot network setup for embedded
> systems. it seems to try to find a unified way for all the different
> install variants currently used in ubuntu.

So after install, automated configuration systems will still have to cope with
different ways to set up networking?

> > Personally, I'd very much prefer YAML above INI. INI is ill-defined
> i dont see .ini mentioned anywhere, the aim is clearly to use yaml

networkd uses INI. What I tried to say was: from my view-point of configuring
by unattended scripts, I'd rather configure a YAML based setup than a INI
based one. So, from this point of view, I'd prefer netplan over networkd.

> > Wouldn't it be a better plan to merge NM and networkd, give it a sane
> > config file format, and use THAT to replace ifupdown?
> about the former you need to convince redhat (who are upstream for
> both, NM and networkd), this is nothing you could do with distro
> patches :)

I know. That's why I wrote "there's probably no chance...".

> > Somehow, I get the impression that everyone tries to roll his own
> > system. Smells a bit like NIH.
> not really, trying to fix fragmentation inside a specific ecosystem
> isnt really NIH i think ... NIH would be to do your own uNetworkd or
> some such to be better than upstreams networkd :)

When writing this, I had networkd and NM in mind. I was not after netplan.

> > BTW: Some years ago, network interfaces used to be called ethXX or
> > wlanXX or ethXX.YY or something.
> thats an invention of the systemd upstream people IIRC ...
> https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

Looks like a fix of a non-existing problem, IMHO.

For years, udev makes the names stable based on the MAC. You'd get
unpredictable names only for newly plugged devices on the first boot with this
new device.

If devices happen to differ from what you expected on the first boot after you
installed, just swap the cables. Big deal.

--
Josef Wolf
jw at raven.inka.de