Moving towards NetworkManager

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 17:03:02 UTC 2016

On 30 July 2016 at 18:01, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll modify your statement slightly:
>
> A very good but disturbing idea.
>
> (Disturbing because we're so used to the concept of "/bin" "/lib"
> "/sbin" containing what's needed to bring up a minimal system with
> just "/" if other filesystems happen to split out. That function's now
> fulfilled by the initramfs' "/".)

Do you think many people are still actually doing that?

Most of the ultra-minimal distros are dead now, e.g.

Damn Small Linux, http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ -- last updated 2008

Puppy Linux -- last updated April 2015:
http://barryk.org/news/?viewDetailed=00187

LEAF Project -- http://leaf.sourceforge.net/ -- last updates on the
homepage 2012

The only one I know that's alive and was updated this year is Tiny
Core Linux: http://tinycorelinux.net/

I just had a quick look. The smallest new hard disks I can find for
sale now are 500GB. That's notebook and desktop sizes.

OK, true, SSDs are still available new at 120GB. (The Mac mini I'm
typing on boots off one! However, I did buy it at the start of 2014
and it was the cheapest I could get then.)

So, with a small Linux today being a desktop distro like Debian or
Slackware, that only just fits on a CD and which takes a gigabyte or
so, which is 0.2% of the smallest available hard disk, do you really
think there is still any need for a minimal system such as your
describe?