Moving towards NetworkManager

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Fri Jul 29 20:04:49 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 03:33:48PM +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 29 July 2016 at 15:08, Josef Wolf <jw at raven.inka.de> wrote:
> >
> > I don't want any GUI to enter my wifi keys. They are stored in a svn
> > repository which is checked out by configuration scripts which in turn are run
> > by my postinstall script.
>
> Jeez. Well, as discussed, I think you're mad. ;-)

You're probably right. I think, you need some grade of madness to survive in
this world.

I am trying to survive from a different kind of madness: having to
(re)configure dozens of hosts manually. If I want to do some major
configuration changes, I do them on ONE host and commit them to the svn
repository. All the other hosts will catch up. That saves a LOT of work.

> I still think, though, that given what you're saying, Ubuntu isn't the
> right distro for you!

Well, I'm pretty much happy with most of the applications. I'm not going to
learn how thousands of applications are to be configured.

But there are some aspects wich I want to configure differently. And I don't
want to do that manually.

> You uninstalled it in a careless way, which is strongly at odds with
> your apparent level of tech skills.

I was not aware about sublte differences in apt-gt/aptitude. A long time ago I
asked on this list whether aptitude is a proper tool and received positive
answers.

> If you want to manage your own OS and desktop in detail,

I don't want to manage my desktop in detail. In fact: the only thing I've
changed on my desktop is that the unity-application-bar on the left side
auto-hides. I'd like to auto-hide the top bar also, but that's not THAT
important. For me, the main reason for the desktop is to have a conveniet way
to run many screen-windows and many firefox windows. :-)

But I also don't want to wipe the desktop just by trying to configure the
network.

> >> The  next-most-popular tool and replacement for NM seems to be WICD:
> > Another kid in town. No longer supported.
> Yes it is.
> https://launchpad.net/wicd

But for using wicd, I'd also need to remove network-manager to avoid them
stumping on each other? Won't that again wipe my desktop?

--
Josef Wolf
jw at raven.inka.de