Upfrading from Ubuntu 14.03 to Ubuntu 16.0

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat Jul 30 02:49:33 UTC 2016

At Sat, 30 Jul 2016 12:13:11 +1000 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> A secondary question. I  use virtual machines to run windows so that I
> can use certain programs,such as genealogy, which have no real Linux
> equivalent.   How can I transfer a virtual machine image to a new
> installation. While I have stored all of my data etc, outside the
> virtual machine in my home directory, it would be nice not to have to
> recreate the machines and reinstall the windows software and programs.

What are you using as a VM system?  When I upgraded from CentOS 5 (using Xen)
to CentOS 6 (using KVM), it is pretty trivial to preserve my VMs, since I was
using LVM volumes for their disk space.  I just had to save the XML VM
discriptions.  The only problem was the 32-bit CentOS 5 VM that I had (no big
deal since I didn't really need that one).

If you are using VirtualBox, I believe it saves the VM disk space in a special
disk file and stores the VM's info in a configuration file of some sort.  You
just need to keep those files between updates.  You should have stashed those
files someplace other than the system file system eg on /home or someplace
like /vmdata or whatever.  Some other file system than /.

> As anyone else had any problems in going from Ubuntu 12 to Ubuntu 14?

I lost my Mingw32 build infrastructure. :-(.  I am in the process of creating
a new Mingw32 build infrastructure (I found what looks like very good one at
mxe.cc -- far better and more complete than what lives in the Ubuntu
repository).

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933