Moving towards NetworkManager

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Fri Jul 29 15:30:01 UTC 2016

On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 15:33:48 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>I still think, though, that given what you're saying, Ubuntu isn't the
>right distro for you!

Perhaps you're right, perhaps you're wrong with this claim. At least
network-manager is no reason to switch to another distro, I installed
Ubuntu from the 15.10 server install media and selected what I wanted
to install and what not. Later I run a release upgrade to 16.04 and
network-manager is not installed, just the dev package is installed:

$ sudo systemd-nspawn -q dpkg -l network-manager*
[snip]
un  network-manage <none>       <none>       (no description available)
ii  network-manage 1.2.0-0ubunt amd64        network management framework (dev
un  network-manage <none>       <none>       (no description available)
$ sudo systemd-nspawn -q dpkg -l network-manager-dev
[snip]
ii  network-manage 1.2.0-0ubunt amd64        network management framework (dev

There could be valid reasons to chose another distro, but IMO
network-manager is no reason to do so.

Regards,
Ralf

--