Moving towards NetworkManager

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 13:33:48 UTC 2016

On 29 July 2016 at 15:08, Josef Wolf <jw at raven.inka.de> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 02:13:19PM +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>> On 29 July 2016 at 13:04, Josef Wolf <jw at raven.inka.de> wrote:
>
>> This may not be directly relevant, and I don't use it myself, but...
>
> This IS directly relevant!

OK, well, good. :-)

>> I track a number of non-GNOME-based distros via mailing lists, forums
>> etc. A common question is avoiding NetworkManager, as it's a GNOME
>> tool and pulls in various GNOME dependencies.
>
> I started this thread because uninstalling network-manager removed all of my
> desktop.
>
>> (E.g. on Arch it
>> requires the GNOME keyring merely to be able to _enter_ a Wifi
>> password. Not to store it, just to enter it at all!)
>
> I don't want any GUI to enter my wifi keys. They are stored in a svn
> repository which is checked out by configuration scripts which in turn are run
> by my postinstall script.

Jeez. Well, as discussed, I think you're mad. ;-) But hey, I am
entirely in favour of your right to run your own systems however you
want.

I still think, though, that given what you're saying, Ubuntu isn't the
right distro for you!

> Therefore, right after install (by my customized CD), all my wifi-keys (and
> ssh hostkeys, ssh authorized keys, and many, many other configuration aspects)
> are configured.
>
> No point in entering (and mis-typing) dozens of wifi-keys manually.
>
> Works great with wpa-supplicant. If only NM did not get in the way.

O_o

> Since NM is usseless (to me), I uninstalled it.
>
> And it took my desktop along with it.

You uninstalled it in a careless way, which is strongly at odds with
your apparent level of tech skills.

If you want to manage your own OS and desktop in detail, then a
highly-automated, highly-integrated distro and desktop such as Ubuntu
& Unity are not good choices for you, IMHO.

>> The  next-most-popular tool and replacement for NM seems to be WICD:
>
> Another kid in town. No longer supported.

Yes it is.

https://launchpad.net/wicd